Friday, June 11, 2010

More Musings From Her Majesty's Realm

In yesterday’s entry I implied that I, along with my fellow countrymen, cannot or will not take Britain seriously. This was somewhat dishonest on my part. It’s undoubtedly true that the rest of America remains defiantly apathetic to the British people and their way of life, but I myself have been an avowed anglophile for well over a decade, having greatly enjoyed my trips overseas in spite of the rain, the mad cow disease, and the horsey transvestites. My most recent visit to the UK was about 7 years ago when my parents took me to Yorkshire. While there, I laid eyes on something so strange, so improbable, I have yet to wrap my brain around it: full English breakfast in a can.

All of our previous voyages to the UK had centered around London, where a car would have been little more than a hindrance. This time, however, the plan was to set up base camp in York, and from there to take daytrips to surrounding areas. It was thusly determined that a vehicle would come in handy.

For an American, a car journey in England consists of long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. It doesn’t help that the whole of Yorkshire smells like shit. The primary problem with driving in Britain is obviously their road dyslexia. The secondary problem is that they have no qualms about making their two-way streets wide enough for only one car. They only exacerbate the threat of a head-on collision by erecting quaint stone walls along either side of every country lane, ensuring that no one can pull off the road and into safety.

Terror notwithstanding, in Britain the ordinary trappings of car travel remain. On one of our daytrips, we stopped for gas somewhere outside of York, giving us a fantastic opportunity to stretch our legs and get a good whiff of poop. While my parents got down to the business of filling up the tank, I wandered into the little gas station convenience store to examine their edible wares.

I must say that trolling supermarkets abroad is one of life’s great pleasures, and probably the single best way to come to grips with a country and its people. I thought my previous trips to Tesco and Asda and Sainsbury’s had adequately prepared me for the eccentricities of the British diet, but I was wrong. Really, once you get down to it, British supermarkets are disappointingly comparable to their American counterparts. Sure, they have the audacity to refer to frozen meat nuggets as “faggots,” but the basics are the same – fruits, vegetables, milk, bread, etc.

Not so British convenience stores. They must sell the requisite soft drinks and salty snacks and candy bars, but I really couldn’t say for sure. In my memory, this little store’s shelves were empty, except for a single innocuous-looking can shrouded in a strange and beautiful light. Upon closer inspection, I was positively floored to discover that this can advertised itself as containing a full English breakfast.

The English value breakfast because their other meals are so universally foul, and they consider the full English to be the absolute pinnacle of breakfast treats. Ingredients vary based on personal preference as well as region, but a full English generally consists of bacon, sausage, eggs, fried bread, mushrooms, a grilled tomato, and beans. All this in a can. It blew my mind.

I still wonder about the bread. I get the rest of it. Let me rephrase that. I don’t get why this product exists or why anyone would consume it, but I get that pork products, eggs, and vegetables mixed with beans would form a thoroughly unappealing brown mush whose component parts have been compacted out of all recognition and that this mush could be suitably preserved in a can. The mystery of the bread, however, lives on. My best guess: croutons.

The mystery lives on because we left that gas station empty-handed. I did submit to my parents that it would be a grave mistake to drive off without a specimen, but one of them dismissed my suggestion as absurd. Today, burning with a curiosity no less intense than mine, neither mother nor father wishes to admit guilt. Sadly, lacking the funds necessary to return to England I have little choice but to move on, though I continue to wonder what might have been…

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to say it was I who ruled not to buy the can of breakfast and believe me I sorely regret it, perhaps more than you do. You didn't mention the can was the size and shape to lead one to expect it to contain a few tennis balls or a stack of Pringles. It seems somehow more credulous that an English breakfast might actually fit in a squatter can. The items might lie adjacent to one another, but in this can they have to piled one atop the other. An aren't the eggs in the English breakfast fried and runny? It's unimaginable and that's why I refused to buy the damn thing. It was simply too ludicrous. I bet when you pop the top a paper snake springs out. It had to be some kind of joke and I was not about to be made a fool of. Which, of course, is what happened. One of the worst decisions of my life. What I'd give to see what's in that stupid can! I may return to England just for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did find this product online, however I have yet to find a website that will deliver it to America. Interestingly, there are two varieties: the All-Day Breakfast and the Full Monty. I guess they're laboring under the misapprehension that no one outside of Britain would want such an insane food item, but they haven't taken into consideration the fact that, although no one outside of Britain is stupid enough to actually EAT this, there may be curious foreigners like us who have some unanswered questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sixth ReplicantJune 13, 2010 at 10:32 PM

    No sooner had I read "horsey transvestites" than I was called into the other room so that I could find the Tony Awards on the TV (being the member of the household with the requisite genetalia for operating a modern TV). I'm sure you can see where this is going: Horsey transvestites. Dancing. I found the Tonys by flipping through the channels and stopping when I saw horsey transvestites dancing. What is it with Brits, transvestites, and theater, er, theatre?

    But back to the Full English. There's just so much I want to say about this...

    a) First off, this sounds like a deviant sexual practice that Lewis Black would refer to on TDS and I would rush to urbandictionary to look up. Well, I rushed to urbandictionary and all I got was this stupid breakfast "dish". One joker, obviously thinking along the same lines I was, suggested this as a term for a "Hot Lunch" first thing in the morning. Sadly, this definition seems to have been pretty roundly rejected.

    b) Why would you put mushrooms in such an otherwise delectable combination of foodstuffs?

    c) I found this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetgalore/245492154/ I'm troubled by the term "All Day" as applied to breakfast. Now if a restaurant says they have "All Day Breakfast", that's ok. I understand that. But if the breakfast itself is "All Day"? What does that mean? I'm afraid to speculate. And by "afraid", I mean of course, "eager". My best guess is that the digestive ramifications of this foodlike substance are long-lasting. I think your carbon footprint for that day would be substantial, given the greenhouse potency of methane.

    d) I once ate a Scotch egg at the Minnesota State Fair. Scotch eggs are a natural for a state fair in that a) they can be put on a stick, and b) they are fried.

    e) The beans and tomatoes kind of seem beside the point, too. Why inject vegetable matter into such an otherwise perfect source of saturated fat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sixth ReplicantJune 13, 2010 at 10:35 PM

    Wow. I misspelled genitalia. I proofread it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before you go talking shit about vegetable matter, I'd like to bring to your attention the fact that British bacon is far more disgusting than any vegetable could ever be.

    Also, why are there Scotch eggs in Minnesota? Don't they just eat herring and Swedish meatballs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The salient point is not "Minnesota", but rather, "State Fair". At state fairs, they will take any foodstuff, fry it, put it on a stick, and sell it to you. For you to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not to use as a weapon? That's a shame, because I'd be willing to bet a Scotch egg could do some serious damage.

    ReplyDelete