Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Come the Revolution

Do you remember the welfare queens? An obnoxiously pervasive meme in the 1990’s, welfare queens was a term used to refer to chronically-unemployed women relying on public assistance to support their illegitimate children. While I doubt he coined it, I most closely associate the expression with Rush Limbaugh, probably because of his penchant for gross insensitivity.

So last week at an undisclosed time and in an undisclosed location, I was tacitly participating in a conversation (i.e. eavesdropping) which, in an unwelcome blast from the past, turned to the topic of welfare queens. More specifically, how the government shouldn’t expect good, hard-working Americans to support a bunch of women who function as little more than incubators of future criminals. It must be said that the undisclosed individual who voiced this opinion – far less poetically than I, I might add – is a white person from an admittedly privileged background.

This was the first time I’d thought about welfare queens in years, and with good reason. There’s really no such thing. Here’s a brief history of the welfare queen: at some point in the past 20 or 30 years, a cynical politico got tired of beating off to the collected works of Milton Friedman. As an alternate activity, he perused the papers until he found a story, very possibly apocryphal, concerning one woman in one city guilty of abusing the welfare system. The public, reliably stupid as we are, was only too happy to take this example and extrapolate, transforming the woman in question from a lone fraudster into a symbol of a positively endemic economic crisis.

Make no mistake, this woman, if she ever existed, was nothing more than a fraudster disingenuously presented as a typical welfare recipient. The problem wasn’t that our Jane Doe was collecting checks with no intention of becoming gainfully employed. The problem was that she was a criminal, and welfare fraud is a job in and of itself. Jane Doe is only entitled to one check, so if she’s looking for more than that she’ll need to develop a few aliases and obtain fake identification documents for each. She’s going to have to become an expert forger, able to convincingly disguise her handwriting. She will be obliged to traveling extensively throughout her city and state. Who knows, she might even need some disguises.

The number of people this committed to bilking the government out of taxpayer dollars in order to avoid working is most assuredly negligible. At least 99.9% of people receiving welfare do so legally and legally obtained public assistance is hardly generous enough to facilitate a life in the lap of luxury. Believe me when I tell you that a woman relying on welfare to support herself and her children is not indulging in champagne wishes and caviar dreams; she’s living in Section 8 housing and going without in order to give her kid a toy dump truck next Christmas. Also believe me when I tell you that if economic regulation were such that this woman could make more money performing unskilled labor than receiving a check from the government, she’d be working the fryer at McDonald’s as we speak.

In the interest of full disclosure, I myself am a white person from a privileged background and all I know about public assistance I learned in the pursuit of a fancy economics degree. This means that I do not understand what it’s like to be genuinely poor. I know what it’s like to be college-student poor, and I know what it’s like to be young-adult poor, but for-real poor is way beyond my scope. What I do know is that being for-real poor fucking sucks and nasty remarks from assholes like me are not helpful. The person whose defaming comments inspired this entry is insufficiently empathetic, and that’s not OK.

I don’t think it’s hyperbolic to argue that the American lack of empathy is seriously disturbing. “No free handouts” became the rallying cry of the right during the healthcare debate, and it is as heartless a statement as I’ve ever heard, particularly since they’re not committed to the idea of no free handouts as a principle. They’re committed to the idea of no free handouts for other people, but they’ll readily accept whatever the government tosses at them. House on fire? Dial 911. No garden hose can handle that. Kids in public school? Absolutely. Who can spring for a $15,000/year prep school? Affordable healthcare for poor people? Let ‘em die.

It is incumbent upon the fortunate to work to improve the lives of the unfortunate, and it’s heartening to see people, affected by the recession, coming around to this way of thinking. Acquisition is not the basis of a functional society, and greed is not good. You should feel sad when you see a homeless person wearing a thin coat in the middle of winter. You should feel sad when a bright kid can’t attend college. You should feel sad when you come across an emaciated dog in an alley. The well-being of other living creatures should matter to you. If it doesn’t, fine, but don’t be surprised when you find yourself on the wrong end of a proletarian revolution.

5 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I don't see a proletarian revolution coming. It would be a far too rational response to the ever-increasing disparity between the rich and the poor. We're far too stupid, and far too well opiated in this country: baby jesus will come and make it all better. Or for those adhering to a less factually-supportable religion: the free market will come and make it all better.

    What the obscenely rich fail to grasp, in my opinion, is that their lives are far more pleasant being worth a few hundred million in a still-kinda-sorta-first-world nation than they will be when they're worth a few billion in the third-world nation they're trying to bring about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to be idealistic until I'm 30. Those are the rules. Therefore, I have to believe that an uprising is imminent.

    I don't understand why people don't point out more often that, as the gap between rich and poor grows, so does violent crime. In fact, a high level of wealth disparity is the ONLY accurate predictor of the violent crime rate in a given region. I guess what I'm saying is that we should probably all band together, get some torches, and go fuck up people in gated communities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm... is cynicism compatible with idealism?

    Is that true about the violent crime rate? Didn't it go down through the late 80's and 90's, when income disparities were growing?

    I think the people we need to fuck up are way too rich to live in gated communities. They have their own gates. Around their compounds.

    Speaking of gated communities:

    New gated communities for poor people

    Also, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the vitriol. I'm pretty sure I've never said those words before so thank you for the opportunity. And now what? Do we attack some gated community armed with Scotch eggs on a stick? I'm game as long as the inhabitants or their bodyguards aren't significantly larger than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, gated communities are so lower-upper-class. We should go after Rockefellers and Kennedys and shit. People with real money. And I think Scotch eggs on sticks might just be weird enough to distract the rich bastards while we go after them with hammers and sickles.

    ReplyDelete