Wednesday, September 22, 2010

It Appears I'm Pissed-off Today

Grievance # 1
Why, when I buy a cup of coffee in the morning, do people always try to give me a napkin with it? How unskilled could I possibly be at consuming beverages? It’s an act I’ve practiced on a daily basis for my entire life. I could drink a cup of coffee with my eyes closed; in fact, most mornings I do. That’s why I’m buying the coffee in the first place. Save your company some cash and the environment some trees, and keep your napkins to yourself. Anyone with an Airplane!-style “drinking problem” can suck it up and make a special request.

Grievance # 2
I don’t have a choice of cable provider; it’s Time Warner or nothing where I live. Back when I lived in Ann Arbor, MI, it was Comcast or nothing. This is not good. These companies, aware that their customers have no choice but to be loyal, have no incentive to provide good service. I pay an astronomical cable bill every month, and here’s a quick rundown of a few of the problems I regularly encounter:
*At least once during any given hour, the sound will deviate and no longer match the image. I have to change the channel, and sometimes shut off the box entirely, in order for things to return to normal.

*The image freezes constantly. I suspect this is somehow related to the sound issues, but is annoying in its own right.

*The cable box resets itself daily, and this is not a quick process. It shuts off unexpectedly (it seems that it always happens in the middle of one of my favorite shows, but that’s not possible, right?) and then takes roughly 10 minutes to reset itself. It’s important to not that the resetting does nothing to improve other aspects of the service.

If everyone is so into capitalism, why aren’t they calling for the dissolution of these companies? We should have a competitive market of cable providers. He whose service is best wins.

Grievance # 3
It’s a fact that the slower a person moves, the more central his location. For example, if I’m rushing down the subway steps to catch a train, I can count on there being someone, generally an individual of substantial size, sauntering down the middle of the stairs, clogging up the works. When I miss my train because of these retarded behemoths, it’s VERY hard to refrain from punching them in their fat little faces. Have a little consideration. If you’re old, enormous, or otherwise enfeebled, stay to the right of the sidewalk or stairs and let the rest of us pass you. We shouldn’t have to be late to work just because you’re not dead yet.

2 comments:

  1. Re Grievance #2

    It never fails to amaze me that morons can spout shit about the free market with a straight face, and they don't get mocked into submission. There are entirely too many people in this country who have read Atlas Shrugged and for some utterly inexplicable reason come to believe that this execrable attempt at a "novel" teaches us something about the real world. Hey, assholes, GO GALT ALREADY!!! We're waiting. We'll send you a postcard, let you know how horrible things are without your "productivity".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, fucking Ayn Rand destroyed the world. People who've never read another book in their lives have read Atlas Shrugged just to become super-annoying.

    ReplyDelete